Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Clearly you do not know me...

I am noticing a trend.  I pretty much only instagram pictures of food and I have been only blogging about things that totally irritate and or infuriate me. So, why would this post be any different?

We have opened our home for 8 weeks to an exchange student from Korea.  He is a 15 year old boy.  I already have one of those(a 15 year old boy) so I don't know what I was thinking.  After the first few days and the novelty of a new place wore off, two 15 year old boys is not double the fun.  All of that is for another time.  My issue this evening is with the two women who came over from Korea with the group of students.   If I had a douche bag jar, these two twits would owe it and owe it big. 

My son put it best when he said, "they look at you and smile and say yes, but I really wonder what they are thinking in their head."  Well I will tell you what I think is in their head and it includes an 'F' and a 'U' and probably some other derogatory phrases.  

I will give a little background,  these biotches didn't get off on the best foot with me.  In the first week when we had our student, he had a cold.  He was taking LOTS of medicine from Korea.  The third evening he was with us, he passed out.  I called Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb and explained my concern for his medical status. They determined, over the phone that he was 'fine' meanwhile I am trying to care for this kid who is 'fine' but then informs me he is going to start vomiting.   I later spoke with a representative from the school who told me that they had a kid last year from Korea who had medicine from Korea and he was taking too much and not following the instructions on the label, which posed a problem.  

I asked TD and TD what is in the medicine the kid is taking.  I explained that I will need to tell an EMT if I have to call an ambulance.  I also explained that I have friends with small children and I have a dog, what if one of them were to get into this medicine? I need to know what it is.  Most of all, I wanted to know what it was because it is my house and out of respect for our home I felt we simply had the right to know.  Guess what?  After numerous requests and 8 weeks later, I still have no effing idea what the medication is.

While we have had this student we have completely changed our schedule.  He has after school tutoring everyday.  That means a later pick up for him.  We have been available to bring him anywhere he has needed to be.  We have celebrated his birthday with him and Korean New Year.  We have brought him to museums and snow tubing.  It was my youngest son's birthday yesterday.  He goes to a different school so he has been on vacation.  He wanted to go into Boston.  I thought that would be great and we could get our exchange student into the city too.  As a result, he missed his after school tutoring.  

Now my kids never miss school.  Maybe one or two days a year.  Because of all of the weekend snowstorms we have had while we have had our student, many of the things we wanted to do were cancelled.  We decided that Friday, after lunch we would dismiss both 15 year old boys from school for the last museum we wanted to bring our student to and my son who is on vacation wanted to go to as part of his school vacation.

Well I see TD and TD tonight.  They say to me, "We know you want to take Ahn to a museum on Friday but we don't think so." They go on to say "he has missed tutoring twice so he can't go."  Now this kid came half way across the world.  I feel like an afternoon at a living museum(Old Sturbridge Village) would be a great way to round out his stay here in the states.  So this is where the title of this blog comes in 'cause clearly TD and TD do not know me.  So I say, "Well then you won't mind keeping him with you until 8pm when we get home that night."(they are usually done with the students at 4pm) Then, ever so politely, they start speaking Korean to each other right in front of me!  Like I wasn't even there!  I think they were maybe saying, "What the eff, how are we going to be able to go out to have fun for our last Friday night in the states if we are stuck with this kid?" 

Shockingly they thought that it would be a good idea for him to go after all.  I felt like saying, "Excuse me? What? Oh your an idiot? That's what I thought you said." Obviously I did not go on a rant, I kept it under control and polite, but Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb, clearly you do not know me, but I know you.  I have your number.

I will be honest, I don't really feel this experience has done much to endear me to these people.  Maybe I will feel different in the weeks after our student is gone, but for now I just don't know.  I would love to hear other peoples' experiences with exchange students.

No comments: