Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What I have learned this week(so far)

1. Some people are a little freaked out that most of the adorable little chicks will be in my freezer in 10 weeks.
2. There really is a pecking order and it is fascinating to watch it get established.
3. Chicks sleep in all different ways, but none standing up.  The most popular position seems to be flat out with beak in the shavings, but some sleep on their sides, legs sticking out and everything.
4. I can not imagine what life must be like for a meat chicken in a mass production chicken farm, especially their early days of life.  I do not think it could be easy.
5. I have really begun to embrace the idea of knowing where my food comes from.
6. I look at leftovers in an entirely different light.  We have always been good about eating leftovers, but the thought of throwing meat away that an animal's life was taken for seems even more wasteful than I had ever thought before.
7. Hens must be exhausted caring for chicks.  They eat, drink and sleep in a cycle of about 45 minutes, I don't know how they can keep up.

Shhh, baby chick sleeping.

1 comment:

SZM said...

Glad I am not a hen ;-)